Friday, March 4, 2011

xXx Holic by CLAMP

Dear Readers,

I want to apologize for being incredibly tardy with my posts lately. To say I've been busy is an incredible understatement... Though, without revealing too much over this cyberworld, I can proudly say I've had a fantastic week! :3 Things are a ch-ch-changin' and I'm ridiculously happy! Aside from feeling a little down about relationships (and their lack of) with prom around the corner, I'm also feeling pretty positive. Hence, I've decided to review a series that is, for the most part, without very many romance themes, but includes both comedy and the supernatural (my other favorite genre).

'xXx Holic' is a series made by the famous CLAMP mangakas. They are famous for their work with renowned series: Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, Angelic Layer, etc. 'xXx Holic' is nothing short of their other series with its beautiful art, witty comedy, and creative plot. 'xXx Holic' is both an anime and manga, and after watching/reading both, I'm equally thrilled. The story follows the clumsy and lovable Watanuki Kimihiro, who has the ability to see spirits and supernatural entities. This ability has plagued him all his life as they frequently try to harm him. One day on his way home, he feels strangely compelled to enter an odd house where he meets the sultry, but mysterious Yuuko Ichihara. She claims to be able to solve his problem with spirits if he agrees to work for her. This begins the hilarious duo between Yuuko and Watanuki. The story continues with Watanuki's bonding with Domeki, a guy who is able to repel spirits, and Watanuki's love interest, Himawari. Despite the small reference to romance, this part of the story is more a comedic motif, due to Watanuki's unrequited love.

The episodes and volumes continue with Watanuki's various supernatural encounters, which are both eerie and humorous. My favorite quality is the inclusion of mythology, which is cleverly intertwined into the plot. I also have to mention again how beautiful the art is! It's one of the first CLAMP series I read and immediately fell in love with it's unique style, particularly with Yuuko's fashion!
Overall, it's a fantastic series and I recommend both the anime and manga!
Read it here: http://www.mangareader.net/160/xxxholic.html

Sorry for the rushed and late review this week!
~Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment