Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Midnight Secretary by Tomu Ohmi

Hi all,

Goodness. I don't even know how to apologize for missing a week (hence, why I posted a little early this week). It's my first time I've completely forgot about blogging here. I'm now running two blogs, though one is significantly less work, through tumblr. Also these past few weeks have been really difficult, because I'm finally getting my college decisions and it seems like I'll probably be going to school in my city (meaning, I'll be stuck for another four years in a place I don't really want to be). Being wait-listed to schools is probably one of the worst feelings, because you realize that you're so close to being in, but not quite... In short, I haven't been blogging on here because my life is not meeting the expectations I want it to. XP But, I'm back now. So, I've decided to review one of my favorite series: 'Midnight Secretary' by Tomo Ohmi.

Yes, the title of this manga is definitely hinting at some smut, which is actually a pretty good tip for this series. However, it's probably more accurately a josei manga. I'm not a huge fan of reviewing my favorite smut series on here, but this one is really good. I feel like most manga readers would love this even with its ridiculously silly name. The series is about Kaya, a very square, but very capable secretary. She finds herself working for a playboy boss of a big company, who usually hires beautiful women to work around him. When he sees how perfect of a secretary Kaya is, despite her meek looks, he is obligated to hire her. At first Kaya hates her boss, Kyouhei, because he is terribly hostile and spends most of his time in "engagements" with women. On one of these engagements, Kaya accidentally spies her boss sucking the blood from one of his women, and thus Kaya learns that here boss is a vampire! (Yes, this is another vampire series... I keep telling myself I don't like them, but I keep finding decently good ones). So, the story continues with Kyouhei needing Kaya's blood, where he realizes she is beautiful when she comes out of her stiff secretary look. Eventually the two fall in love, but against the rules for vampires like Kyouhei, who are only supposed to use humans as part of their diet.

I didn't think I would like this series when I started it, but it turned out to be really intriguing. I loved Kaya's character because she was so sensible at first, and didn't throw herself at Kyouhei (who is not so unique - he's just like any other male chauvinist in manga). Don't expect much as far as plot goes in this series, but the dialog and art make up for the typical plot. Despite its light smut and vampire aspects, it's a very good series that will keep you on the edge. Plus, it has fairytale ending, which I can't help but like. :3

Read it here: http://manga.animea.net/midnight-secretary.html

Well, I'll try not to miss anymore reviews!
Best,
<3 Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment