Monday, March 21, 2011

Inuyasha by Rumiko Takahashi

Ahoy there!

I want to apologize again for being late in blogging this week, again. My life has been so hectic lately, paired with the fact that I am incredibly unmotivated! Because I'm not done with any of the series I'm reading or watching right now, I'm going to review the series that got me started reading and watching anime: InuYasha. Yes, I realize it's an extremely over rated series and very redundant, but it's close to my heart - literally. I should probably explain why I even picked up the darn series. In middle school, about 7 years ago, there was a boy I was completely smitten over, and he was a huge InuYasha fan. In order to have something to talk about with him, I started reading InuYasha. Instead he ended up thinking I was some kind of stalker and didn't end up liking me until high school, where I it was my turn to think he was a stalker. In short, Inuyasha never got me any action, but I ended up loving manga instead. 

Okay, I'm done with my tangential romance of middle school. Onwards… Inuyasha is a very popular shonen/shoujo series by Rumiko Takahashi. To me, the series is one of the best made because it has everything - action, romance, supernatural, and suspense. The story follows Kagome, an average school girl in modern Japan, who falls into feudal Japan through a well. When she gets there she finds out that she is the reincarnation of a legendary priestess, Kikyo, who died protecting the Shikon jewel. The Shikon jewel allows demons to have their power increased, even making half demons into full demons. However, most demons can't control the power of the Shikon jewel. When Kikyo died, she buried the Shikon jewel with her, so that it could no longer create terrible demons, so when Kagome falls into feudal Japan, demons are drawn to her, because the Shikon jewel has been reincarnated inside her. While running from a demon, she meets Inuyasha, a dog demon that has been held inside a spell for years. Fearing her death, she releases Inuyasha from his spell, where he destroys the demon. This begins their journey together after Kagome accidentally shoots the Shikon jewel into hundreds of little fragments scattered through feudal Japan. The unlikely pair is set on a quest to gather the shards of the Shikon jewel. The romance begins when the learn the back story on how Inuyasha was set under a spell from the beginning, or the romance between Kikyo and Inuyasha before Kagome was reincarnated. The series continues with their blossoming romance, meeting more friends, and a quest to destroy Naraku, a dangerous demon who wants the Shikon jewel for himself. 

A series with over 500 chapters, and over 100 episodes of anime has a long story with many different adventures. I have shamefully read and seen all of them. :3 For those of you haven't seen or read the series, I don't want to tell the whole story (though that would be impossible, because it's just so long). Part of what makes the series so great is the characters. Along the way you'll meet Miroku, the lecherous monk, Sango, the badass woman demon slayer, Shippo, the annoying comic relief, and so many more. The art is basic, part of Takahashi's famous Rumic style, but still enjoyable. This series is really hard to explain, because it has so much going on, so I really can't do it justice. :( I must say that watching and reading it in one sitting can be really redundant, because it seems like the stupid Shikon jewel has a million shards, and there is like a never-ending flow of weak demons flying all over the frigid' feudal Japan. However, I can definitely recommend it! It keeps you reading and the romance between Kagome and Inuyasha will have you sitting at the edge of your seat! 

Sorry for the lame and long review this week. I think I'll refrain from reviewing super long series in the future, because I never know what I should leave out! 

Best,
Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment