Monday, May 23, 2011

D.Gray-Man by Katsura Hoshino

Hi all,
Well, this week has probably been the hardest one for me in a while. My relationship just ended and it's really hard for me to get into the daily routine for things. Right now reading shoujo manga is really difficult because of the sheer unrealistic perfection of some of the relationships in manga, which make me want to gag. So, I'm detouring away from my usual favorite genre (at least while I get over this break-up) and I'm reviewing a shonen series. Hope you like it, though it's going to be brief  because it's just way too long of a series to get into too much detail.

'D.Gray-Man' is one my favorite series, and a good portion of the manga world's too. It's very popular and has over 200 chapters, so it keeps most of it's readers fairly occupied. I've been reading for a few months and I'm still not finished. The story is about a strange boy named Allen, who becomes a member of a group of exorcists. All exorcists have an ancient power called 'Innocence', which they use to combat akuma (or demons) and the ultimate villain, the Millennium Earl. Akuma are weapons made by the Millennium Earl to destroy humanity, preying on the pain and suffering of human beings. Allen is the protagonist of the story and he possesses a unique Innocence and power to see Akuma through his deformed eye. The story continues with Allen and his team of fellow exorcists as they destroy Akuma and the Millennium Earl, while both sides search for the greatest piece of Innocence called the 'Great Heart'. The story is fairly biblical, and it brings up some creative elements about good and evil.

'D.Gray-Man' is one of the most creative series I've read and I find the character sketches to be quite lovely. My favorite character Lenalee Lee was going to be my cosplay costume if I had went to the anime convention in my region. :) Anyway, I highly recommend the series. It's very action packed, as most of it involves fighting scenes between Akuma and the exorcists. This may sound boring, but it's very exciting and the art is fantastic.
Read it here: http://www.mangareader.net/210/dgray-man.html

Love,
Pseudonymous Jayne :3

No comments:

Post a Comment