Thursday, February 24, 2011

Emma by Kaoru Mori

Hey guys,

Another busy week is almost finished. As much as I love school and no matter how amazing the idea of continuing in a college setting is, I look forward to the weekend like a five year old does Christmas. Imagine that kind of anticipation every week... :( But, perhaps that's just a typical teenage rant. Onwards... This week, I've planned to review a series I'm not entirely finished with, but already love. It's the same type of romance that I usually review, but with a timeless twist you'll love.

Emma by Kaoru Mori is romance manga set in the late 19th century. The story follows the blossoming romance between a maid, Emma, and a wealthy gentry man, William. Emma first meets William when he comes back in town and decides to visit his old teacher, who is Emma's mistress. Emma is a practical, but beautiful maid with many suitors she usually denies, but with William, she finds herself blushing and enjoying her time with him. William is instantly drawn to her because of her beauty, but also her intelligent demeanor. The story continues with conflicts because of William's status in society versus Emma's lack of one as a maid. The two are pushed apart as William's family does not approve of his marrying a commoner. The story is also intercepted by William's friend, Hakim, who came from India riding on elephants and surrounded by dancing girls (he's definitely my favorite character), who at first decides he wants Emma for himself, until he realizes that William is head over heels for her.

Unlike other romance manga series I've read, this manga isn't fast paced into a physical relationship between Emma and William, which shows the accuracy of Mori's 19th century remake, where propriety was of utmost importance. Though, for some reason it's in the mature section of the site I'm reading it from, so perhaps it steps out of that for a while... I can't really say because I'm only on chapter eighteen out of the 52 chapters.

It really is very creative and unique twist from the usual romance manga I've read. I love the art, which is not overflowing with detail, but instead very simple and crisp. However, as a Jane Austen fan, I love the time period most of all! A great series that I highly recommend! There is also a highly rated anime for this series, which I'm going to start as soon as I finish the manga. I might make a comment review of the anime when I'm finished! :3
Read it here: http://manga.animea.net/emma.html

Sorry to post late again!
~Pseudonymous Jayne



No comments:

Post a Comment