Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Captive Hearts by Matsuri Hino

Ahoy,

So much has happened this week! I can't say I'm glad it's almost over though... I'm absolutely exhausted from the extraneous homework and extracurriculars I've committed myself to this month. Anyway, in commemoration of Valentines Day (aka 'Singles Awareness Day') we're going to review a shoujo manga. Big surprise, right? I always review shoujo manga :3 It's my favorite genre, so I really can't help it! ^ ^  I'm not exactly a hopeless romantic, but I do enjoy seeing perfect couples fall in love under strange circumstances! And, that's just what 'Captive Hearts' is all about!

'Captive Hearts' is a shoujo manga by Matsuri Hino, who is famous for the popular series 'Vampire Knight'. 'Captive Hearts' is about the Kuroishi and Kogami families, who have had a strange curse for generations. The Kuroishi family members have been cursed to serve the Kogami clan in both mind and heart. Lucky for the young and oblivious Megumi, the entire Kogami family disappeared years ago. This changes when Suzuka Kogami resurfaces in China and lives with Megumi and his dad, who are compelled to serve her. By meeting Suzuka, Megumi learns the full extent of the curse his family is under, as he overwhelms himself and Suzuka with compliments and servitude constantly. Little does Megumi realize, he is also succumbing to Suzuka with his heart, as their relationship grows into a romance. Suzuka is determined to remove Megumi's curse, but also feels conflicted when realizing that Megumi's feelings may only be a part of his curse and not true love. The series progresses with a familiar servant and master relationship, except reversed with a female master and obedient manservant.

As usual, I have picked a shoujo manga with slight supernatural elements, as the family is cursed by a strange curse. The story progresses as Megumi and Suzuka work to break the curse, involving magic and many hilarious adventures. I have really enjoyed all of Matsuri Hino's work, so it was no surprise that I loved this series. Hino draws beautiful characters that are just so much fun to look at. It's also refreshing to see a refreshing reversal of roles with Suzuka in charge of Megumi.
A great/cute story and great art = thumbs up from me! ^ ^
Read it at: http://www.mangareader.net/1264/toraware-no-minoue.html

Once again, Happy Belated Valentines Day!
Best,
Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment