Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Millennium Snow by Bisco Hatori

Hello hello,

I realized that I left off my last entry without actually reviewing anything!?! So, I've got to start somewhere, right? I've decided to begin with a short series I've really enjoyed, Millennium Snow' or 'Thousand Years of Snow'. The title sounds slightly New Years related, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with New Years...

Another important task for me now is to decide how frequently I want to blog! I read somewhere that a good blogger remembers to blog with a schedule. Wednesday is a central day of the week, and it seems that after Wednesday passes by, the rest of the week follows in a flash. So, Wednesday it is! Welcome to Pseudonymous Jayne's Weekly Manga & Anime Blog! :)
(Though, I'll be blogging everyday this week before I start blogging once a week)

Alright, without further ado, I'll begin:

'Millennium Snow' or 'AThousand Years of Snow' is a manga series by mangaka Bisco Hatori, who is famous for the series 'Ouran High School Host Club' (which, I will also review sometime soon!). Millennium Snow is the story of a sickly girl named Chiyuki, who doctors claim won't live to see the next snowfall. One night, Chiyuki meets a handsome young vampire named Toya, who is cold and cruel towards humans, but also finds himself drawn to Chiyuki. In spite of this, Toya knows that if he makes a blood partnership with a human like Chiyuki, he would be able to keep Chiyuki and himself alive for a thousand years. The story continues with Toya's progressing love for Chiyuki, which is put to the test when she meets Satsuki, a humorous and flirtatious boy, who just happens to be a werewolf. The series is focused on Toya and Chiyuki who develop a fickle romance. Chiyuki is able to teach Toya a respect for life as she lives each moment to the fullest, which contrasts Toya and his distaste for life and his immortality.

Now, I don't typically like manga series with vampires, because the whole concept has been milked entirely by the 'Twilight Saga'. 'Millennium Snow', despite its comparisons to 'Twilight' with the wolf and vampire fighting over one girl, is a stand alone unique story. The series was first published in 2002 (three years before Twilight was made), but was released in english in 2007. Unfortunately, the series has not been finished, because Bisco Hatori decided to focus on 'Ouran High School Host Club'. Even though that series has been finished for a few years, the 'Millennium Snow' has not continued, and is still limited to just two volumes! :( 'Millennium Snow' also has its perks in the art, which shows you Hatori's style before she completed 'Ouran High School Host Club'. Overall, a great story and art, until you realize it doesn't have an ending... If you're looking for a short and sweet shoujo romance, 'Millennium Snow' will definitely satisfy.

Hope you enjoyed my first manga review!
Best,
Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment