Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Wallflower by Tomoko Hayakawa

Hi guys,

So, not that anyone cares, but I am late in posting this week. My reasons for this are because of the dreaded finals I had this week. Like I said, I don't think anyone cares... Alright, if I secretly have readers out there, they're probably supremely irritated that all I do at the beginning of my posts is complain about how no one is reading... *insert cliche sigh* Somehow I need to get myself into the manga online community, so that I may meet my grandiose dream of having followers who aren't already my friends in real life. :3 Anyone know the best manga forum site?

Okay, this week I chose to reviwe another old anime show called, 'The Wallflower' or 'Perfect Girl Evolution' by Tomoko Hayakawa. It's also a manga of course, but I haven't actually read it, though I can tell you that the art is very different from the anime. The story is about a girl named Sunako, who was told she was ugly by the only boy she had ever liked. Since that experience, Sunako shuns all 'beautiful' things, including her own blossoming beauty. She prefers to spend her time watching horror movies and making friends with anatomical science mannequins. Her aunt notices this unusual behavior and sends her to live with her four handsome renters in order to turn Sunako into a 'perfect lady'. If successful, the four boys will receive free rent! Unfortunately for them, Sunako is the farthest thing from a perfect lady, and is also far from willing. The anime is a twenty-five episode series, which ends rather abruptly with a hint about Sunako's love for one of the boys.

While looking for something good to watch over my winter break a few weeks ago, I ran into 'The Wallflower', which is a romantic comedy with a lot of gothic undertones. Along with some of its strange interjections of gothic doom, it still keeps a light hearted tone. It wasn't my favorite anime to watch due to its often repetitive plot lines, but it was very entertaining at its best. Sunako is prone to nosebleeds, cares more about her mannequin, Hiroshi, and spends most of the show in demented chibi form, rather than her true beautiful self. As you can see, it's pretty hilarious. I would definitely recommend this anime if you're looking for something fun and silly, but not if you're looking for a serious shoujo or dramatic anime.

Well, gotta go!
Best,
Pseudonymous Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment